Thursday, March 4, 2010

Event Planning - Dominica


March 4 - For my first vocational visit on Dominica, I met with Jennifer Fadelle, event planner extraordinaire in all of Dominica. As I opened her shop door, I saw a lady about my age at the counter. Thinking that she must be Jennifer, I walked up to her and introduced myself.

The well dressed, smiling lady advised that she was the secretary to the President and was waiting for Jennifer to collect the items for the gift basket she ordered. She explained, "when someone in Dominica turns 100, the country recognizes and celebrates the exciting occasion." A couple days prior to the 100th birthday, the family contacts social services to notify the turning of age. They then contact the President's office who sends a birthday card along with a gift basket full of age appropriate items: apple juice, foot powder, toothpaste, hot cocoa, ivory soap, morning coffee cookies, ointments, etc. In addition to the card and gift basket to recognize the occasion, the family receives free electricity and propane for the rest of the person's lifetime.

Jennifer's completed gift basket that the secretary to the president is holding.


During the three hours I spent with Jennifer, I found out that she not only practices event planning, but many other jobs as well. Fadelle's, Jennifer's event planning shop also serves as the community florist, rents and sells party supplies, and A/V rentals. She also made the front of her shop into a barista and a breakfast and lunch café.


I was very surprised at the many job duties she takes on, but she explained it well. "On a small island, you will find that one person takes on many hats because specializing in just one area is not enough (income) to live on."

With her florist hat on, this is one of the arrangements she put together while I was with her.


Jennifer took me on a tour of the state house, the President's residence as she was hired to decorate for a large 300 person cocktail celebration in two weeks.


The state house was still decorated for Christmas which Jennifer was not hired to do. Jennifer was appalled at holiday décor that was still hanging on the walls at the late date of March. We brainstormed some ideas for the cocktail party and I have full confidence that Jennifer is the right woman for the job to transform the outdated holiday look into a classy atmosphere fitting for the many Caribbean Presidents coming to the island for the event.

Even though this was my first (planned) vocational visit, things went better than expected. I not only learned how my vocation is practiced in Dominica, but I also made a friend. We made such a connection that Jennifer attended our dinner event later that week and brought me an amazing gift! While I was at her shop for my vocational visit, I met the gentleman who makes all the carnival costumes for the island. Jennifer asked him to make a costume for me and surprised me that night with the priceless gift.

Shelly Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment