Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dominica Electric (DOMLEC) and GIS

March 5 – On my first vocational visit I went to DOMLEC. DOMLEC is the only electric company on the island of Dominica. I met with Ian Sorhaindo who told me a little about what DOMLEC does in the GIS realm. Gideon Dalrymple and Eliyah Jno Baptiste are the two GIS techs for DOMLEC and showed me how they collect power poles in the field on a GPS. They then import that data into their computer with ESRI software to plot the changes.

The familiarity with the area (the island of Dominica) Gideon and Eliyah are working with is a huge advantage in the field of GIS.

Eliyah showing me how to collect a necessary power pole that has yet to be built with the GPS.

Gideon showing me how to collect an existing power pole with the GPS to add to their geodatabase back at the office.

Monica Holzmer

No comments:

Post a Comment